Among the various and eye-catching Laos dishes, “Laap” brings strange charm with different flavor, delicacy behind its rustic appearance. “Laap” means “Luck” (in Vietnamese: “Lộc”), is a dish for good godsend and peace. Let cook “Laap Salad” – Laos’s Unique “National Dish” together !
- Ingredients: (for 4 people)
Pork (Beef, Chicken): 300 gr
Sticky rice: 300 gr
Red bird’s-eye chilies: 2 – 3
Green onion: 1
Red onion: 3 – 4
Vegetable: Lettuce leaves, sliced cucumber, coriander
Spices: Powdered grilled rice, sugar, fish sauce, oil, olive oil
Step 1: Cook sticky rice
First, you can cook sticky rice with a cooker (if you don’t have a steamer). Follow these steps below:
– Boil a pot of water. Pour the rice into the rice cooker and add the boiling water to the rice, a little white salt then cover the pot. Avoid pouring much water.
– When the kettle on the Warm mode, sprinkle the rice and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil for sticky rice.
– Cover the steamer, remain it about 5 – 7 minutes then open the lid to let the water out.
Step 2: Ingredients preparation
– Mince meat.
– Heat the pan with a little oil and pour the pork into the frying pan, cook until meat’s dry.
– Chop lemongrass, lemon leaves, ½ mint leaves, green onions, red onion, and chili.
– Add into lemongrass, chili, lemon leaves, and green onion: lime juice, 1.5 tsp. fish sauce and 1.5 tsp. sugar.
Step 3: Mix, marinate and dish presentation
– Mix the meat, minced carrots and spices in a large bowl. Sprinkle the powdered grilled rice on the meat
– Put the meat on the plate, decorate with coriander and mint leaves and eat with the sticky rice and vegetable.